[Fedora-marketing-list] Info

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 03:43:40 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Gabriel Maluréanu <gmalureanu at agorasoft.com> wrote:

> Question: since I intend, when the company will be in "steady-state", to
> work on a free Linux distro, while supporting it, would you please let me
> know what would be the connection points, from the practical standpoint,
> between RHEL and Fedora, compared to other free distros? I'd like to use on
> some servers the RH supported licenses, and on others a free distro, the
> "closest" possible to RH. Would be Fedora this one (and why)?

 Hi Gabriel,

The closest possible distribution to RHEL will be CentOS (http://centos.org/),
or a similar distribution that tries to maintain API and ABI compatibility
with the corresponding RHEL release. Fedora is a fast-moving distribution;
RHEL releases adopt features first implemented in Fedora, but at any given
time Fedora will have newer software than RHEL.

My 2 cents would be to use RHEL and CentOS on your production servers, and
use a couple of Fedora systems to keep abreast with what will eventually
trickle back into the next RHEL release.

Best regards,

--
Michel Salim

Don't worry about avoiding temptation -- as you grow older, it starts
avoiding you.
                -- The Old Farmer's Almanac