[Fedora-marketing-list] Legally correct term.

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Nov 13 20:17:19 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram escribió:
> Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>>  As some friends and me are preparing a series of Fedora events to
>> take place in the coming months, we were wondering what is the
>> correct term for "Fedora Linux" legally speaking. We will be making
>> some stickers which amongst other things will feature the legend
>> "Fedora Linux", and since Linux when used in certain contexts can be
>> referred to as Linux®, also I remember that Red Hat refers to Fedora
>> as Fedora™, so when put together both terms, what is the correct way
>> to put them:
>>
>> Fedora™ Linux®
>> Fedora Linux®
>> Fedora® Linux®
>>
>> ?
>>
>> I do believe that the same applies to the Logo, where the Infinity
>> Logo is accompanied by the ® symbol, but I'm not sure.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your inputs and clarifications.
>
> We dont call the distribution "Fedora Linux". We currently call it
> "Fedora Core". There is currently a discussion about merging core and
> extras (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraSummit) and the new name
> post merger hasnt been decided yet but "Fedora" and "Fedora Linux" are
> potential candidates.
>
> Currently you can call it Fedora Core™ but I would avoid the "TM" in
> normal references. The logo doesnt have any registered trademarks
> associated with it and the names are more casual.
>
> Rahul

Thanks for the clarification, Rahul. So it is pefectly OK that the
Stickers only mention Fedora? I thought of tossing the "Linux" there as
to point out that we're using Linux, strictly for users unfamiliar with
Linux in general and Fedora in particular, we are still in the "design"
phase, so we can change the stickers quite a bit. Thanks again for your
input!