[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: Kernel Question

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Mon Oct 16 09:10:30 UTC 2006

On Sunday 01 October 2006 13:06, Stephen Buccola wrote:

> I'm fairly new to Linux and chose to download Fedora Core 5. I'm currently
> installing a program, PCMIA, and it asks me to locate my kernel source
> directory. I was under the impression that it could be found under
> "/usr/src/linux", however, there is no such directory.
>
> I was wondering if there was a generic location for the kernel directory
> that I just haven't found or if it can be put anywhere depending on the
> box. Is there a way in the terminal to locate the directory?

You actually need to install a separate package that contains the basic files
you'll need to build a new module against the running kernel.

From a console with root privileges:

yum install kernel-devel

Once installation is complete, the files you need will be installed
under /usr/src/kernels/.  Symbolic links that can be found
under /lib/modules/ are used by most build scripts to locate the appropriate
files.  Note that anything you build against your running kernel will need to
be rebuilt and installed again each time your kernel is updated.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://n-man.com/