[Fedora-marketing-list] Next-release plans on the frontpage

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 6 21:32:10 UTC 2006

Dimitris Glezos wrote:

> We could consider though including something "lighter" than the actual release
> summary, right?

In the front page before the release is made? I have planned it long
back but I havent had much help from anyone here before when I asked.
See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC6LaunchMediaPlan.

> It's not a bad idea to have something like "What we are currently cooking".
> GNOME goes a step further and includes such a section even in it's release notes:
>
>   http://www.gnome.org/start/2.14/notes/en/rnlookingforward.html
>
> Cooking something doesn't mean it will actually be served. Hell, it might get
> even burnt. =)

We frequently dont have much information about the next release but I
dont mind listing a few things that we things we are about to do. For FC7,

Reducing the size of Fedora Core. KDE in Extra among other things.
Network Manager by default
Unifying Core and Extras repository
{insert other plans here}

> I think this is cool (from a marketing perspective), it motivates users to
> expect something, to actually look forward to the next version. We could start
> with something not very specific/promising and as the test versions are released
> become more specific. Besides, by the time of test3 things become pretty solid.
>
> -dim

After test3 release yes but Leon's complaint as I understand it was that
we dont have any information about FC6 *right now* in the frontpage
which is think might be a bit premature.

Rahul