Mascot - Blue Arrara

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Fri Apr 6 12:58:49 UTC 2007

O/H Nicu Buculei έγραψε:
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>
>> Some more thoughts:
>> - birds are associated with "brainless" in some cultures. Parrots are
>> worse as they add "ornemental" (and mean) to the mix
>
> Around here is an insult to call someone "parrot". But in my
> understanding, *any* symbol you use, in some part of the world it will
> have a negative connotation.

+1. In greek calling one a parrot means he repeats things he hears without
knowing what they mean (like students copying book paragraphs in exams). I'm
afraid we'll probably have to make a compromise at some point. :)

>> - most of the proposals are overly complex or reliant on colours. The
>> mascot must scale gracefully to low-resolution media or those where each
>> used colour costs (CDs, T-shirts). That's why successful mascots like Tux
>> or the Java guy are designed to degrade gracefully in monochrome low-res
>> outline mode
>
> I kinda disagree, the proposals we got so far are mostly black and white
> sketches, without having yet colors added, so we may evolve them in such
> a direction.
>
> One thing I like about Rodrigo's Arrara: for small size display (like a
> favicon or web button) we can use only the head, without the rest of the
> body.

I agree with this as well.

-d

PS: What's "arrara"? I tried finding it in wikipedia with no luck. "Ararauna" is
the closest thing I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-and-yellow_Macaw

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/