Fedora's mid-life crisis

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Sun Aug 5 14:28:04 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-marketing-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-marketing-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Rahul
Sundaram
Sent: Sunday, 5 August 2007 8:04 PM
To: For discussions about marketing and expanding the Fedora user base
Subject: Fedora's mid-life crisis

Hi

This might lead to interesting changes in the project. Watch out!

http://lwn.net/Articles/242965

"The Fedora project has a solid base to build on and an increasingly
open community process to help it get to where it wants to be. With the
right focus on an interesting set of goals, Fedora could surprise the
world. This distribution should have no trouble proving that it's not
over the hill yet."

Rahul

I would have thought that the Fedora Board would have considered that
question and possibly answered it in their own heads.  It's one of the long
standing question who is the target market.  Now people can say it's aimed
at devs but to me it seems like Fedora is very strong in the server market
but on the desktop side of things it doesn't go all the way.  Leaving Codecs
out of it cause to me that's irrelevant.

Using PCLinuxOS or Ubuntu as an example they have pointed themselves
directly at the desktop market and their server or Ubuntu's server setup
isn't as good as Fedora's (My opinion = SELinux, stability and ease of
install).  Fedora to me as always looked and felt like a Corporate Desktop
and or Corporate Server more so than a home desktop.  Yet by the same token
there are some significant enhancements in the desktop part that I have
thought damn they are good.

So I suppose it's back to the question who is Fedora targeting as an
audience?  Should Fedora separate out certain aspects to cater to certain
areas?  Like coming up with ideas for desktop enhancements and a group for
Server enhancements.  With the Live-CD's I believe that's a HUGE step in the
right direction.

Cheers,

Marc