How to compete against Ubuntu

Jeremy Hogan jeremy.hogan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:59:55 UTC 2007

On 8/4/07, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> > They also made it a core value to be a warm and inviting community,
>
> And Fedora is not?

Compared to Ubuntu? When I hear Ubunutu advocates, I hear how friendly the
UI is, how great the community is. When I hear about Fedora, I hear about
Red Hat, I hear about features.

> and their brand reeks of it--from their name, to their color scheme,
> > to their logo.
>
> And Fedora is not?

Compared to them? No. Look up the psychological meaning of the colors in
their palette. Now, look up the meaning of blue. They fall into a spectrum
called "warm", whereas blue falls into "cool". As in cold, not like the
Fonz. What's the definition of the word Ubuntu, versus the definition of a
Fedora? That's what I mean. The name, the color scheme, the logo is about
warmth, community, sharing. Ours is about being near, but not Red Hat.

I'm glad you like Ubuntu's marketing.

You've missed my point, I think, so I'll try and be more clear. I don't like
their marketing any better than Fedora's marketing. I was pointing out that
where they are strong, it is because they made it a primary focus to be
strong. Whereas, Fedora is strong where it set out to be. So my point was
that "competing" with Ubuntu, means being something I don't think any of us
joined this project to be. Sub text to that point was that we shouldn't
target other distros.

Like WalMart versus Target. WalMart always has the best price, Target has
better products. Other than that, you can get all of the same stuff.
Fedora's success isn't predicated on Ubuntu's failure. Their mindshare
gains, are not necessarily at our expense.

--jeremy