Legal Codecs Needed

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 5 18:49:28 UTC 2007

Markus McLaughlin wrote:
> What makes Windows/MAC more successful is they encourage third party
> developers to sell legal plug-ins/codecs allowing MP3, DVD, HD-DVD to be
> played.  Fedora, Ubuntu, and the other major
> Linux Distributions lack this so illegal means are common.  It is time
> for third party developers to
> sell codecs for the major Linux distributions thus ending the illegal route.

They already do. See http://fluendo.com for example. What third party
developers do isn't really on topic for this list.

> Also, the ogg theora codec isn't ready for prime time yet, I hope it
> will be fully able for Fedora 8
> and beyond.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureCodecBuddy

There also should be a GNOME app that encodes DV to OGG.  I
> wish there was
> an OGG codec equivalent of Flash for web sites, that would be very ideal...

Both of these are already available in the repositories. Here is a FAQ I
wrote on the subject

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_47_5781.shtm

Some other references:

http://www.gnomefiles.org/category.php?cat_id=12