2007 Desktop Linux Survey

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 26 02:49:38 UTC 2007

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Has anyone been keeping an eye on specific desktop use?  Not just in Fedora
> but across the board.  The 2007 Linux Survey was released with some
> interesting results.
>

> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8454912761.html
>
> "The Red Hat/Fedora family -- which this year includes CentOS -- came in at
> the fourth spot with 9 percent. This represents a small loss from last year
> when Fedora had 7 percent, while Red Hat added in a mere 2.2 percent, for a
> total, including smaller Red Hat/Fedora-based distributions of less than 10
> percent."

This is the results of the online survey of 38.000 users asking for
their desktop/laptop usage. There are some odd results such as Gentoo
being on 7% while Mandriva not showing up much at all.

I wasn't even aware they were doing a survey earlier. Interesting
results nevertheless. The usage of thunderbird and virtualbox for example.

Rahul