ESR gives up on Fedora

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 15:05:11 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, Francesco Ugolini <francesco.ugolini at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Read this article:
> http://enterprise.linux.com/enterprise/07/02/21/1340237.shtml?tid=23&tid=12
> .
> I think we have to reflect on this pamphlet, and we have to answer him,
> directly or indirectly.
>
> I hope that some developers can help us understand deeper the objections
> and work together to change the situation.

Before I loaded the URL I knew he would be complaining because we have
not accepted proprietary and patent encumbered formats.

I think the fact that he still harps on that point diminishes the
credibility of the rest of his arguments.

I am personally quite glad that Fedora has a long term vision of a
world of truly free software, one which can't exist if in order to get
useful things done we must load up on non-free formats. Non-free
formats carry a high price even if they cost no money directly.

It is unfortunate that a more long term perspective seems
irreconcilable with ESR's short term wishes for desktop domination.