[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: Fedora Free Media Program - December 2006

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 6 08:43:12 UTC 2007

Nicola Losito wrote:
> Il giorno 06/gen/07, alle ore 01:05, Behdad Esfahbod ha scritto:
>
>> Everyone not in the US is free to ship to those
>> destinations.  But advertising it on a US-based server is considered
>> indirect exporting.  Laws are silly, yes.  So, in short, just ship and
>> tell the list that you shipped.
>

> Or, since Fedora is supposed to be a community effort having in high
> consideration the Freedom let's MOVE the fedoraproject wiki on an server
> outside USA and away from the direct control of Red Hat Inc USA.

How will that help? Red Hat is still the legal entity behind Fedora and
while it has world wide presence is still headquartered in the US. When
you realize that other countries are being strong armed to support
things like software patents and pretty much every region has its own
set of silly laws (I think there was a even regular TV Show about it),
running away from the problem is not going to help.

Rahul