[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: Red Hat's Fedora to Get Longer Support

hymno3 crazymulgogi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 11:33:58 UTC 2007

You hit it right there.

(Few points though, I wouldn't dare say that Fedora is the most popular
distribution; it could be but there's no way of telling.
And whereas "Linux" is hot, "GNU" (as such) is not.
I figure there are only few people that wouldn't greatly respect RMS,
but His GNUness would be given special credits anyway, with or without
"Fedora GNU Slash Linux" (yeah, don't forget the "slash" :) ).
In compensation, we should not mention Linus/x either - the guy even
admits to hating GN...ome. ;) )

Naming is a very messy business. Attempts to name something with the
idea in mind to express its "core identity", its background, or its
essence, are bound to fail.
Say I want to name our child "Becky" (fictitious as all of my examples),
but my wife hates this girl she was once bullied by (fiction again),
named also Becky.
Is that a good choice then? I might have thousands of great arguments
why "Becky" has a wonderful meaning, background, etc. But no, it's a bad
choice because it will have the very wrong references.

I don't really *associate* the word Linux with "Fedora" immediately, or
the other way around. I associate it with Yum, SELinux, the Fedora logo,
Gnome, Red Hat, the user forums, even the Sony PlayStation 3, the fact
that it was the first distro that works just how I want it to; all sorts
of things - and of course, with "Linux" too - one of the many