Fedora stats offer insight into Linux usage

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jul 27 22:05:35 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram escribió:
> Hi,
>

> http://www.linux.com/feature/118197
>
> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier talks with Fedora's Max Spevack about some
> recently released statistics. "The Fedora Project offered a peek under
> its kimono recently with details about Fedora 7 adoption and other
> statistics. Fedora 7 has snagged more than 300,000 users since its
> release at the end of May. While that sounds pretty good, Fedora Core
> 6 managed to attract more than 400,000 in roughly the same amount of
> time after its release. We asked Max Spevack, the Fedora project
> leader, whether the numbers are telling the full story."
>
> Rahul

Excellent! This shows one more time the Fedora's leadership at taking
initiative to not only have an Open Source Software distribution, but
also Open Source Information. I wonder a couple of things, though:

* Will RHEL include such methods to also measure system use? Or is there
no need for this as it is "subscription based"?
* How are the efforts to convince other distributions to also add to the
smolt and others statistics efforts initiated by Fedora?
* Do we envision a "global" statistics center where developers, hardware
vendors, software vendors, distributors could look at in a future and
better target their:
    * Products.
    * Development efforts.
    * Bug tracking systems.
    * Expected user base for a given product or service.

This really looks very nice! Go, go Fedora!