Fedora Project Sign for GITEX Demo Pod -- here we go ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jul 30 12:29:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 14:08 +0200, JoergSimon wrote:
> This was without any valuation. I appreciate the work of Novell on the
> OpenSuse Projekt.

This is what I can't stand about the Linux community sometimes.  What I
say is _not_ what others take it as, and I end up defending myself over
and over.  Especially when I make a statement or viewpoint that is taken
_utterly_ "out of context" -- let alone when I make a "unpopular
viewpoint" (see below).

First off, understand I was _not_ "knocking" Novell or OpenSuSE.

Secondly, the "knock" was that it was "sound" (as in "solid wood").
There are _distinct_ differences between OpenSuSE and Novell, Fedora and
Red Hat, heck even Debian and the DCC.  They are not 1:1 comparisons,
even if people try to make them.

Third, in this case, the originally person was "on the mark" in trying
_not_ to "side brand" Fedora(TM) as Red Hat(R) much like many are
accustomed to with SuSE(R) and Novell(R) (and yes, I understand the cap
is different on SUSE/suse now).

Lastly, I have had to -- in a professional and near-_legally_ (as my
_paid_ job function) even _explain_ Novell, Microsoft and -- gasp -- SCO
(v. IBM on Monterey, not the "forged" SCO v. Linux non-sense) at times!
I have seen the "wraith" of people who think I "defend" Novell,
Microsoft, even SCO to the point of causing some people to get _fixated_
on me to levels of not only unethical, but even _illegal_ activity.  And
damn me when I am I critical of the "oh, the great Linux savor IBM."

Please, _please_ do _not_ add to the "rabid" nature of the community
sometimes by assuming what I say is what you take it as.  I know you
weren't attacking me (unlike those "select" others with no ethics), but
you were doing the reverse.  You were defending Novell/SuSE when there
was _no_ such "insult."

> But i also appreciate that RedHat made it possible that we - the Fedora
> Community - have an own identity.

*MY* point *EXACTLY*!

Now I'm going to STFU because I can't seem to make a (pun)"sound"(pun)
statement and not see it taking utterly wrong.  Sigh, I know _better_ to
just put my consulting mouth where it is and _not_ deal with these
"advocacy" forums because all I do is indirectly piss people off.

Sigh.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com