Distrowatch dot com judgment of Fedora's relation with the "community"

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu May 10 18:21:52 UTC 2007

On 5/9/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Ladislav Bodnar wrote:
> > Also, I'd prefer if
> > any particular complaint/suggestion came directly from the user
> > community, not from people who have a redhat.com or fedoraproject.org
> > in their email addresses, since you are likely to be biased.

What is the definition of 'user community?'  Would Ladislav rather
hear from me?  I so dearly love talking to misinformed people in the
technical laypress.  Or do I not count because I'm an active
contributor?  I just don't get it. Why is there an arbitrary
preference to hear from people who stand outside the process of moving
the project forward? Who is allowed to speak for the community, the
people who aren't actively involved in setting the direction?    How
is that unbias, let alone informed.

I buy Girl Scout cookies, I guess that makes me perfectly equipped to
wax eloquent unbiasedly in a general manner concerning the
goals,motivations, and structures of the girl scout organization.

-jef"I'd take biased well-informed and thoughtful opinion, over
slapdash, first-glance, arms-length, impressionistic poorly researched
argumentation any day of the week. I'm really hoping that at some
point the technical laypress figures out that my content preferences
are worth catering to.  Until then I'll just keep reading penny-arcade
instead."spaleta