Re: A Mac User's Opinion of Fedora Core 6

Robert M. Albrecht wrote:

In my opinon MacOSX is much more simpler to use. Software Installation
(including the os itself) is way simpler: simply unzip the app and drop
it anywhere.

OS X does not have a way to manage installed software, a huge weakness compared to Fedora. It may be simpler to install software on OS X, but it is not better.

Patching is better.

OS X patches, or updates as they are called, are bundled into batches. That doesn't make them "better" , just less granular. That also makes updating less flexible. You are forced to patch the web browser at the same time you patch rsync, for example.

Plus, updates for other software is separate from the updates from Apple, which is confusing and disjointed.

Updates installed via "Software Update" are listed as installed in the GUI, but updates downloaded separately and applied are not listed as installed. There is a directory where those "rogue" updates can be viewed as applied, but it is not commonly known.

But I think it`s unfair to compare them.

I think Fedora will have the best chance to improve if comparisons to all platforms are considered.

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/
824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265