F8 Features PDF 11-6 Mockup

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 7 18:37:15 UTC 2007

Chris Negus wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 11:44 -0500, Michael Beckwith wrote:
>> http://tw2113.fedorapeople.org/fed_overview/11-6-evening.pdf
>>
>> Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated. Presentation and colors and whatnot are set to be 2nd in line after I get content placed.
>
> I have a question about this statement regarding IcedTea:
>
>   Java applets are supported out of the box in a secure manner on both
>   x86 and x86_ 64 architectures, thanks to the integration of an
>   improved gcjwebplugin.
>
> The README.libgcjwebplugin.so file (/usr/share/doc/libgcj-*) says
> gcjwebplugin may not be particularly secure and is not enabled by
> default. Can someone comment on this? Also, although it's not that hard
> to enable it, it seems like it might be hard for someone to know where
> to look for the plug-in.

The README file is outdated with information from the previous release.
Someone file a bug report?

The gcjwebplugin in Fedora 8 takes advantage of IcedTea (you get
security there since it is OpenJDK with the binary encumbrances removed)
and it is enabled by default. Since it is GCJ based you also get support
for x86_64 architecture which is unique.

For other architectures like PPC where IcedTea/OpenJDK hasn't been
ported to yet properly, we still use GCJ by default.

Rahul