Does Fedora 8 deserve intellectual welfare

hymno crazymulgogi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 00:22:12 UTC 2007

Op zaterdag 10-11-2007 om 09:00 uur [tijdzone +0900], schreef Marc
Wiriadisastra:
> "Fedora 8 came out today and quite frankly, it sucks. I’m a Fedora user
> and I run Fedora on about 10 servers right now, including this one that
> hosts Dvorak Uncensored. But even though I’m a fan I think that it’s
> time to end the intellectual welfare that all the Linux reviewers give
> it and raise the bar to the same standards that commercial software is
> judged by. What is that standard you ask? It’s the standard of “does it
> work”. My conclusion - no - it doesn’t. Fedora 8 is broken."
>
> It seems like a rant more than anything from my point of view. Some
> valid points but overall a rant.
>
> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453
>
> http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Dvorak_Uncensored_Fedora_8_Sucks
>
> Cheers
>
> Marc

Parts of the 'review' are not very credible:

"Being an expert, I (...)

(...) Since I had a 1280×1024 screen, I wanted to see it in the
resolution that the screen supports. So I ran the display configuration
and set the Monitor to Samsung 712n which was on their list. (...)

After selecting the correct monitor, I returned to select the resolution
and even though I had selected a 1280×1024 monitor I still couldn’t
(...)

I could have started trying to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but
decided f*ck it. Why should I spend several more hours on Fedora 8 just
trying to get it to work with a standard size screen? I have better
things to do. (...) "

Excuse me, is editing xorg.conf "several more hours" of work, and for an
"expert" at that?