Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 16:53:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Paul Stauffer wrote:

> I guess my initial comment regarding trademark was spurred by seeing the
> phrase used in conjunction with the logo in your mock-up, Mo.  It looked
> really good.  They looked like they *belonged* together.  I instantly
> foresaw them being linked together in a myriad of contexts all over the
> Fedora multiverse.  In such a scenario, where the slogan and the logo are
> closely linked, it felt natural that the phrase would be serving a very
> similar role to that of the logo itself, and thus they should be treated
> similarly.

Hmm.

This is a good point, actually.  One of the nice things about trademark
protection is that you can protect "elements grouped together in a certain
way" without having to protect the individual elements themselves.

But yes -- worth more thinking after we all agree that "Freedom is a
Feature" is the right slogan.  Which, evidently, we do.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager