Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Oct 5 19:56:34 UTC 2007

Karsten Wade a écrit :
> On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 18:58 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
>> While some languages like English have reused nice pre-existing words
>> for the "CS feature" concept, others use terribly contrived bureaucratic
>> words, and I suspect some do not even have any local word for "feature".
>> It's just not important enough for the vast majority of world's
>> population to justify wording. It's 100% CS jargon speak.
>
> Not really ... the word 'feature' used in this way is pretty old.

You're describing how English speakers chose to apply a general word for
to a very specific context. You could replace feature with element,
property or part in your examples. You can not replace it in the
proposed slogan. Because feature in the slogan has a very specific CS
jargon meaning, and this specific meaning does not translate well.

--
Nicolas Mailhot