Freedom is *just* a Feature?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Oct 6 13:06:37 UTC 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 11:28:23AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Right
> -- and I think for most of Fedora's core market, as well --
> Wrong

Note not *total* market.

> >precisely because we hear it in the sense of computer jargon.
> You've nailed it, this is a slogan for english computer jargon speakers.
> In other words a slogan for hardcore technophiles. I don't think we want
> to restrict our audience to hardcore technophiles (at least one of our
> major derivatives, OLPC, doesn't)

The English-language/translation thing is a bit troubling. But I'm pretty
comfortable with saying that Fedora's *core* market is technophiles. If we
want it to be something else, we need to change some of Fedora's key design
decisions -- particularly, the upgrade-yearly lifespan.