Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

M Daniel R Magarzo b2.mdr.magarzo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 00:10:59 UTC 2007

El dom, 07-10-2007 a las 22:50 +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH escribió:
> >> I do not think so, sincerely. I think that sentence goes two steps
> >> forward from where it should reasonably.
>
> I wonder what new apps or feature I'm using recently which does not
> have Fedora contributions.

 Probably many of them... Sincerely, I don't see the relationship... I
seriously believe that Fedora was and is (in its main features) a very
very good distro. But what I'd never do is to measure its quality
according a lonely factor, and lesser that.

> > Chitlesh, with all the respect for you and the Fedoda Artwork team, I
> > must say that there are several distros where they much care its look.
> > Some of them come with KDE by default, what means a more polished look
> > (e.g. Suse).

> In my opinion, this is something that deserves RESPECT !

My paragraph started mentioning it before anything, but said that..,
everyone should be forced with themselves to say what they honestly
consider true, their opinions, etc. and this should always prevail over
silence (due to a false respect). Honest criticism is an essential part
of a project. Do not confuse silence with respect, please.

> I'm a special case. I value quality/professional and hardwork before
> appearance as you might surely deduce from now.
> This attitude affects my movie/music selections up to my favorite distro.
> I talked to various contributors of various distributions on various
> open source events, but never saw something professional, for me to
> say "wow" (only centos). I won't choose a distro just because of its
> look, but rather how professional its contributors are.

Neither do I. But many newbie people would do. Specially if they have
not any prior reference. That's the question.
All in all, I also value first the core over the "brands", since I know
how to setup a system and its look.
But please do not underestimate the value of appearance. Other distros
don't do at all, and nobody grants that "a priori" a distro in
particular must be necessarily better than another one.

> > You're right here too. I'm sure you are a good "ambassador" over there
> > in the net, seriously. I can imagine you in those typical forum threads
> > where the Ubuntu (Windows and other species) users generally end up
> > crushing you. Into those arenas is where really users get worked up and
> > can encourage to someone to try this one or that one distro.
>

> No, I'm not that kind of person, I promote fedora in real life mainly.
>
> With a few minutes spent reading the threads one can automatically
> deduce the weakness of the writer. Then you point to the right URL.
> that's it ! :)
>
> However I'm not in the distro war, as I take fedora as the upstream of
> other linux distributions, you might even see that on my blog
> postings.
>
> Ok, I guess this discussion is going way off from its title.
>

> Chitlesh

> --
> http://clunixchit.blogspot.com

Daniel