Fedora Life Cycle

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Oct 22 20:55:22 UTC 2007

Greg DeKoenigsberg escribió:

> IMHO, it's far more interesting -- and useful -- to make upgrades work
> flawlessly.
>
> --g

I couldn't agree more with you on this! Theoretically upgrades shouldn't
need to be too difficult, heck you can sort of do them "by hand" if you
know what files you need and more specifically, what /parts/ of the
files are needed... I'm specifically talking about passwd, shadow, group
& gshadow, and paths such as /home, /root, etc. Of course there's also
the "individual applications' config files, which can still be worked
out. I've been thinking about this and it shouldn't be too difficult,
but have been told time and time again that such a feat is impractical
and nonsensical in the long run. I'm not convinced, but, then again it
could be made possible for an automatic upgrade process to also be clean
enough... I'll give it a bit more thought and maybe post an RFE on
Bgzilla about the issue.