[Fwd: Re: Get Fedora]

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 15:42:59 UTC 2007

Paul Stauffer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 09:10:50AM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>> That's actually up to the QA team, and AFAIK the kde spin is blessed
>> already and distributed by the mirrors.  This is a pure marketing
>> decision.  Do we want it on the get fedora page or not.
>
> And this is a matter for discussion, not for a simple vote.
>
> With this clarification from Mike, let's set aside our personal preferences
> with regards to Gnome vs KDE for a minute and focus on the marketing message
> here:  What is the effect on the overall Fedora marketing effort of
> prominently featuring the KDE spin vs not doing so?
>
> My gut reaction is that it might help promote Fedora within the KDE
> community, which would be a positive thing.
>
> Are there any downsides to doing this from a marketing perspective that we
> ought to consider?

There's an awful lot of choices on that screen. Adding another one will
not help towards NOT overwhelming newcomers. If someone knows well
enough that they want KDE over GNOME they are probably quite able to dig
one screen down to get to KDE. Just something to consider.

(how about just GNOME on this screen but next to the spins link, have
something like (including the KDE spin!) next to it?)

~m