Associating the Red Hat and Fedora brands?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 15:33:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:

>  So I'm going to ask this question to you, the friendly Fedora marketing
>  team.
>
>  But first, a history lesson:
>
>  http://lwn.net/Articles/83360/
>
>  This is pretty much the most accurate depiction of how the great brand
>  gulf between Fedora and Red Hat started.  And in many people's minds, that
>  gulf has grown to such an extent that many don't have any way of
>  associating Red Hat with Fedora *at all*.

If people don't know there is an association between Fedora and Red
Hat I don't think they are paying very much attention. It is already
mentioned in the System-About Fedora menu, on the front page of
fedoraproject.org, and countless other places.

>  So let me ask you:
>
>  If, in splash screens for Fedora, we put a tasteful "sponsored by Red Hat"
>  with the Shadowman logo somewhere small... how would you all feel about
>  that?

Giving credit and thanks to supporters of the project, whether
corporate or individuals, is a good thing. I think choosing which to
single out might be difficult to do in a fair manner. How many
corporations support Fedora by encouraging/allowing employees to
contribute? What level of support is required to have your corporate
logo on display?

I'd like to maybe be a little more clear about the purpose of doing
this. If it is what can we do to make people think Red Hat when they
hear Fedora then we are thinking about issues not relevant to this
goal (although acknowledging contributors is always a great thing to
do). Are there other ways to perhaps accomplish this?

When I talk with people about Fedora they always learn about the
connection it has to Red Hat, they don't always learn about the
connection it has with many other commercial enterprises and the more
I think about that the more I feel I do a disservice to other valuable
contributors already. A summary of information about which
corporations contribute and how would be nice for ambassadors to have
access to so they can do more to spread the word about the breadth of
support Fedora gets from the commercial community.

John