Re: Codecs in Fedora 9

Chris Negus wrote:
Could someone tell me what the state of mp3 and other non-free codecs is
for Fedora 9? My concern is that I don't see a codeina package and I
(like others) am not able to play flash videos from firefox.
Well, codeina is still there. The plan is to drop the "paid" codecs and only keep the gratis mp3 plugin. Refer

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/Meetings/2008-03-11#head-99b276cb166437476b228e7142d9607b91bc91d8

# yum info codeina

Okay, thanks. It's not on the install DVD or the live CD. So a user who
doesn't know about codeina already won't get information about mp3
support. Any possibility codeina might still make it on to those media
for Fedora 9?

That's the plan. Only mp3 support is planned to be retained. Rest of the paid codecs are being ripped out since the board felt that it wasn't consistent with the goals of Fedora.