making the website better

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 8 17:47:29 UTC 2008

Juan Camilo Prada wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 11:24 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> Any interest in knocking out some answers to the following questions?
>>
>>  > (1) Who is our target audience?
>>  > (2) What are the goals of our target audience?
>>  > (3) What are our goals?
>>

> Im starting to think that my replays are not being read or note being
> received by the mailing list T-T

Probably my email setup lol.

> (1) I think that we all agree that our primary target would be new
> fedora users/potential fedora users, as the fp.org website is meant to
> show what the project is about and not dealing with the so deep issues
> of the project (thats what the wiki is about).

Are there deep issues that the wiki is not good for?

> (2) This is more a supposition than any other thing, but ive been
> working on web development for a while and i might have get some
> experience knowing what a website should focus in. So if our primary
> target is new/potential fedora users, what they might be looking is what
> the project is about, what are the new features the project has added,
> whats so different about this project that make it better over some
> others, and essentially how to be part of the community, either by
> joining and contributing, or just by downloading the OS and being a user
> (in case they are not users yet)

Sounds reasonable.

> (3) Our goals should be to satisfy our target's goals!, which mean
> showing the necessary info to supply their need of information about the
> project, but also, it should be motivating them to join, and be part of
> the community

+1

> BTW, Máirín, i'd like to know if i might have access to the designs you
> made for the Spins website. I want to work a bit about making the spins
> more noticeable. Also I'm already working on fp.org by adding a news
> section with the Fedora weekly news RSS.

It seems I deleted them out of my fedorapeople account to free some
space. I have them on my computer at home so I will try to upload them
to the wiki tonight and send out the link.

I have thumbnails of them up on photo bucket:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/spinsmock4_thumb.png
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/spindetailsmock3_thumb.png
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/spinsmock5_thumb.png

> Please, i already send the link with the current design, please comment
> on it and let me know if you like it or if there is any suggestion
>
> here is the link again: http://jprada.fedorapeople.org/pagina_web/

I think this is a great for integrating news feeds and a spin promo into
the existing site, but the existing site is still very focused towards
community contributors and developers, NOT the user / not-a-user-yet
audience we seem to be leaning towards. I think that will take much more
drastic changes.

~m