Re: More statistics

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

On Feb 8, 2008 9:02 AM, John Poelstra <poelstra redhat com> wrote:
Absolutely!  Turning off yum-updatesd is part of my rebuild script for
new installs for the reason you've stated. I hate it :)

So... can we have a heartbeat process that isn't tied to update questing?

In the past, this was regarded as "scary".

The reason we have a heartbeat at all is because yum-updatesd was already serving in this capacity, and we were able to justify piggybacking to a mechanism that was already there.

Myself, I'm in favor of instituting a *very* lightweight heartbeat, and always have been. Put an option in firstboot to turn it off, but leave it on by default, and explain in the screen how important it is to the project, and how there's *no* personally identifiable information. Be transparent about our decision, and accept the flak that we will likely receive as the cost of doing business. Metrics are *extremely* important to our decision making abilites as a project.

Should be easy to get into F9 if we decide to do it -- but you're looking at a board-level decision, I think. Fortunately, Jeff, you're on the board. Also, you're extremely persuasive. Threaten a robotic telescope filibuster if you don't get your way. ;)

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager