Windows -> Fedora -> Windows

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Feb 21 10:41:24 UTC 2008

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> This is a wierd article since I still don't understand why they switched
> back to windows.
>
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/0/

The reason is simple:

"The reason for the switch back to Microsoft operating systems? A lack
of support from some of the teachers, says Perkins."

"Perkins said one possible reason why people kept asking for Windows was
because the home experience of this OS is much superior to that in a
corporate set-up. At home, one can do what one likes with a Windows machine"

"The complaints came in something like this form: "If only I had
Microsoft, I could do everything but we are stuck with Linux.""

But what I think was the final nail in the coffin was:

"but when all staff got laptops at the end of 2007, it spelt the end of
Linux desktops at the school. The laptops came with Windows and Office
installed - this was not negotiable"

So probably the main reasons were:
- users familiar with Windows at home resist change;
- no laptops with Linux (Fedora in their case) pre-installed by the OEM.