ubuntu marketing

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Feb 22 22:18:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Valent Turkovic wrote:

> Plus if you look at reviews of linux distributions most of them have a
> category "How easy is it to go to youtube and watch videos" because that
> is what desktop users do and expect from any desktop.

Here are some truths that I hold dear.  I believe that they are
*fundamental* truths of the Fedora project.

1. It's not always easy to be true *free software* advocates.  We take the
good with the bad.

2. The people we care most about are people who care about advancing the
best of *free software*.

3. Ubuntu is already catering to users who are willing to sacrifice
freedom for the sake of *marginal* usability advantage.  There's really no
reason for us to follow them down that path.  Will it cost us users?  It
certainly will.  But we are *extremely* competitive with Ubuntu when it
comes to *contributors* -- and it's *contributors* who change the world.

Let Spaceman worry about being popular.  Let's concern ourselves with
being right, and being productive -- even when it's difficult.

"Fedora -- Ubuntu's more responsible older brother."

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager