ubuntu marketing

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 07:42:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Valent Turkovic
>
> <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Okay. And you actually belive that people won't install this just the
>  >  same but will be "pissed" that it is not easy to do it but they need
>  >  to "jump through hoops" and there are legal ways to do this.
>
>  If you can get firefox's plugin technology fixed such that it gives
>  users a choice as to which flash implementation to choose... you
>  should champion that.

I'll try to do this. Can you hive me some tips for how to start doing
this and the nudge in the right direction. I know about mozilla
bugzilla but if there are some tips and suggestions please share them
here.

> A fedora specific fix isn't that interesting to
>  me.  But if you can convince firefox developers to extend how their
>  plugin technology works so our users or anyone's users can choose
>  between open and closed flash plugins..well then.. that's a win for
>  everyone.

Agreed.

>  >  Plus if you look at reviews of linux distributions most of them have a
>  >  category "How easy is it to go to youtube and watch videos" because
>  >  that is what desktop users do and expect from any desktop.
>
>  I'm not denying this. Open flash technology exists, you know about it,
>  you know its not as good as it could be. Put your passion into
>  figuring out how we can make that open technology better and legally
>  distributable. Hint: tying the open flash plugins to codeina and
>  enhancing codeina's capability to expose multiple open vendors.

I'm not aware of other open vendors, can you point me in the right dirrection?
I'm only aware of livna codecs with which swf-dec works but are
illegal for fedora to use.

> Get
>  people fired up about that.. not about including easy to grab
>  proprietary software.

Ok, I'm only suggesting that for F9 flash player from adobe also
becomes a test as was the test with codeina, and we work on swf-dec
and work better, much better, for F10 or F11.

Cheers,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/