Multiple distro reviews

Eduardo Villagrán Morales gotencoolwebmaster at yahoo.es
Tue Jan 1 06:58:36 UTC 2008

El lun, 31-12-2007 a las 17:56 +0100, Valent Turkovic escribió:
> On 12/31/07, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> > On 12/31/2007 10:47 AM, Tejas Dinkar wrote:
> > > I smell a bias:
> > >
> > > According to the TFA:
> > >
> > > 1) Ubuntu took 3 attempts attempts to install. But still it got an 8
> > > in that field, compared to Fedora which got 7
> > > 2) `System configuration can be fiddly, and configuring wireless
> > > Internet often requires some knowledge as you probably have to set up
> > > NDISwrapper.`.... wtf? Because ubuntu uses some magical kernel which
> > > all wireless drivers work? Notice the `you probably`... ie, he never
> > > tried
> > > 3) Maybe we should have a `select which services to keep running` as
> > > part of the installer? You can't deny Fedora enables a LOT of
> > > services, many of which take a bit of time to get going.
> > >

> > Just two weeks ago I have installed Ubuntu on a Dell laptop belonging to
> > a friend. It only took a couple of mouse clicks and no previous
> > knowledge (besides the mere "I know there are some binary drivers needed
> > and they are not included by default"; note the absence of any mention
> > of a specific repository info here) to have ATI (hence 3D video) and
> > Broadcom (hence wireless) to have everything working.
> > Leaving aside any rant or justification about patents and such, from a
> > user point of view I would have noted Ubuntu with 9 and Fedora with 5.
> > As for the difference between "it just works " and "dig on google for
> > what to do in order to add the repository, extract the firmware and
> > install it"
I install Ubuntu on my Compaq V3000, wireless not work. I follow the
ubuntu wiki help.
On Fedora 7 and Fedora 8, the wireless work with few steps.

Ubuntu remove my previous grub (never ask me). Fedora ask if you need a
new grub.

Ubuntu's installer dont let choose  (like Window$)

--
Eduardo Villagrán Morales
Embajador Fedora