Fedora 9

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 02:59:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 12:15 -0600, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> I must confess that the disease names (Marfan, Asperger, Tourette) Or
> the beast names (Dragicorn, Chupacabra, Woodwoose, Barmanou), are rather
> out of place... Especially the disease one... If you take into account
> what each of these syndromes affects, what's the message?. Since
> Werewolf, seems like mythic fauna has been set as a theme, of these new
> names I like Dragicorn the best, as the others have rather... odd
> associations (do we really want to link Fedora to a 'Sasquatch' or
> 'hominid' ape? Not to mention to the bloodsucking 'Chupacabra'?).  The
> heroic character Chingachgook could be good name, but are we the last of
> our kind? Wouldn't 'Kingsport Town' infringe on copyrights due to the
> Song of the same name (by Bob Dylan for the curious)? And what's the
> reasoning behind the Mayonnaise name, anyway? I don't see Fedora being a
> 'condiment' of any sort.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who attended my university's
School of Engineering told me a great story about a professor who
started the first day of class with the thunderous and stentorian
proclamation: "There is NO engineering problem which cannot be solved
with the right amount of mayonnaise."

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/