Intel's Moblin dumps Ubuntu in favor of Fedora

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 20:59:46 UTC 2008

2008/7/25 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> Downstream should be free to choose what they like from upstream to
> build their own toys.

This is a given.  No one is saying people are not free to choose.
But generally, large changes in project direction, should also be
moments of reflection and introspection.  The direct quotes attributed
to Dirk in the article speak to a desire to attract contributors. Just
moving to rpm packaging, and re-basing on a Fedora kernel isn't going
to do that. If they are looking to make changes to attract more
contributors and have a more active community, then those changes were
not communicated in the article.

> I worry that this thread sounds a little too much like requiring
> downstream to have a relationship with us.  That sounds a bit
> unrealistic to me.
>
> I'm not sure what "aligning internal project processes... to more easily
> access one or the other existing contributor pools" means.  But if you
> believe it's a worthy goal, this is something you can (and probably
> should) discuss directly in the Moblin project.

Let me be clearer then. They should replicate or integrate with as
much of our contributor facing infrastructure and policies as they can
to lower the barrier to entry to their project as far as possible so
that people in our community who care about the mobile sector can work
with them. I don't give a crap if they want to use the Fedora brand or
not.

I have an email out to Arjan with these very thoughts.

-jef