Some marketing tips from Linux magazine

Jonathan Roberts jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 10 18:26:25 UTC 2008

On 08/03/2008, Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:

>  On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 11:20 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>  > On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Rahul Sundaram
>  > <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>  > >  Which descriptions don't make sense either in the summary or after
>  > >  reading the specification. I think these are fairly good descriptions
>  > >  considering they are essentially developer specifications.
>  >
>  >
>  > How about this as a compromise....
>  > What if we leave the feature process development driven.. but we hook
>  > in a way for someone who is perusing the feature summaries to easily
>  > drop a comment or a note if they want a layperson explanation.  The
>  > notes would go to a marketing group..maybe even this list...an answer
>  > is formulated and sent back to the person who asked the the
>  > explanation and additionally linked in to the feature summary on the
>  > feature list without disturbing the development oriented information
>  > there.
>  >
>  > This might even be useful in figuring out where the next developer
>  > interview opportunities are.
>

> +1 ... sort of like a press inquiries address, but offered as part of an
>  already useful document?  That way we are asking for targeted questions
>  and not inviting wide-open requests that are mainly covered in the
>  features pages.
>
>  We could also find a way to cross-tie the SSS with specific features, so
>  one has a press-friendly approach and there is a reciprocating link to
>  find the deeper developer-oriented content.

What we need to do is get this stuff in place and let people know it exists.

I know FeatureList is aimed at developers, but Joe didn't know it
existed and I'm sure many others don't either. Even in it's current
form I'm 99% sure it's a useful document to people in that position as
it's hugely useful to me and others in doing interviews and preparing
Release Notes/Overviews.

The question is, and I guess this is the question we're meant to be
answering in Strategies and Tactics, is how do we do it!

Best wishes,

Jon