Boxed version of Fedora

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 23 09:21:11 UTC 2008

<alpine.LFD.1.00.0803211425250.29568 at slartibartfast.lan>
<47E41158.8010502 at fedoraproject.org>
<1206172571.29963.70.camel at calliope.phig.org>
<47E57590.5050501 at fedoraproject.org>
<alpine.LFD.1.00.0803221610200.19305 at slartibartfast.lan>
<47E5B216.7040407 at prodigy.net.mx>
<alpine.LFD.1.00.0803222346530.7023 at slartibartfast.lan> <47E5F2BC.6070409 at prodigy.net.mx>

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 00:03:40 -0600, Gian Paolo Mureddu
<gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx> wrote:
> Ian Weller escribió:
>> How does Ubuntu do it?  I remember upgrading my sister's computer with
>> one click, and it appeared to work perfectly -- until she decided to
>> unplug the computer during the upgrade. >.<  I have no clue what the end
>> result would've been, but it was probably the best upgrade interface
>> ever.
>

> I'm not sure how does Ubuntu do it, but it shouldn't be too hard to find
> out by dissecting it and going through the sources. At any rate it has
> been brought up before and the general consensus is that upgraded
> systems do suffer performance degradation in one way or another, mainly
> due to settings sticking from previous versions and the like. Still
> there should be a way to upgrade without suffering that performance hit,
> sadly I couldn't say how to do it. Every time it is mentioned, though,
> is disregarded; or at least, that's what it looks like.

Yum upgrades already work in Fedora. It's not officially supported, and
problems occur more often when 3rd party repositories are in use (though
maybe less for Livna as they have an active development repository).

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

I did a yum upgrade from a clean F8 to Rawhide yesterday, and it worked
perfectly.

Still though, this particular discussion is a little off-topic? Maybe this
discussion should be on f-devel-list instead?

Best wishes,

Jon