Associating the Red Hat and Fedora brands?

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Mon Mar 31 23:08:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 17:26 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> So I'm going to ask this question to you, the friendly Fedora marketing
> team.
>
> But first, a history lesson:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/83360/

Holy Crap!!  Didn't know I was involved in that LOL.  Or at least I
don't remember most of it, just the initial "what the heck is going on
type thing" and trying to help explain or inform of what I *thought* was
going on.  Heh, think a lot of that was people jumping the gun, thinking
it all was gonna start happening "now" and not thinking it might take a
while to get it going/started.  Anyway, not gonna start "that" convo up
again..

> This is pretty much the most accurate depiction of how the great brand
> gulf between Fedora and Red Hat started.  And in many people's minds, that
> gulf has grown to such an extent that many don't have any way of
> associating Red Hat with Fedora *at all*.
>
> So let me ask you:
>
> If, in splash screens for Fedora, we put a tasteful "sponsored by Red Hat"
> with the Shadowman logo somewhere small... how would you all feel about
> that?

I don't see what that would hurt.  Maybe something along the lines of
"Driven by the Community, sponsored by Red Hat!" type thing?

+1 though :)

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302 at fedoraproject.org