Fedora at OSCON?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed May 7 12:33:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 22:30 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents
>
> I am attending a partially Red Hat sponsored LTSP Hackfest in Portland,
> Oregon July 25th, 26th and 27th.  That is immediately after OSCon.
> While my primary purpose for going to Portland will be the LTSP
> Hackfest, I wonder if there is an opportunity for me to do any Fedora
> thing at OSCon.
>
> http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2008/public/content/about
> https://en.oreilly.com/oscon2008/public/register#pricing
> I'm told by OSCon attendees in previous years that exhibit floor and
> BOF's are free.  Although it appears from their website that accessto
> BOF's is not free.  Not sure what is accurate, can somebody figure this out?
>
> I would like to spend some time at a Fedora booth and talk during a
> Fedora BOF.  Is anyone here already in contact with OSCon and organizing
> a booth and BOF?
>
> I don't have the priority to do this myself, but I am willing to
> participate if it is already happening.  Anyhow, I need to know if any
> Fedora event is happening soon because I have to purchase my airfare soon.

Hi Warren,

John Poelstra, Jack Aboutboul, and I will be at OSCON as well, and Jack
is setting up a Fedora booth for this show.  I don't know the story
behind the BoF cost change; a ticket to OSCON that -- according to their
site -- gets you into BoFs is *really* expensive, like $1100.  I'll talk
to Jack to see whether this is accurate -- it sounds like crossed wires
to me, since BoFs are normally done on volunteer time as extramural
activities.

I believe strongly that anyone who wants to attend (or speak at) a
Fedora BoF should be able to do so with freedom as in beer and speech.
That's how our project works, and "pay to play" doesn't quite sit right.

On a related note, I was surprised to see that Canonical charges about
$650 for a ticket to their UbuntuLive conference, but it's completely
their prerogative, and I understand they may need to offset costs
somehow.  FUDCon events, though, are a cost that Red Hat can, does, and
should proudly bear as a way to give back to the Fedora community, and I
don't foresee changing that model.