Re: Bleeding-edge Fedora

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

". If you are a Fedora fan, but would prefer your Linux desktop to have fewer experimental software packages, you might want to postpone the upgrade for a month or two, or investigate one of the distributions with a policy of shipping stable and well-tested software only."

... implies we don't test our packages. If you agree with analysis, fine but I do think our choices can be explained further.

To be perfectly honest, I *do* agree with the analysis. I think that comprehensive testing, right now, is the biggest weakness we have. Some of the bugs we shipped with are pretty ugly.

My current circumstance is a great example.

I'm writing this from an F9 USB key I burned using Luke's Windows USB tool on my mother-in-law's Windows computer. Excellent!

But I'm using it because when I upgraded to F9 and then tried to use hibernate, it bricked my laptop. Bummer!

Some of these bugs could have been found with simple test suites -- but we haven't managed to get that work done. It's a real problem.

Look, we're getting *really* favorable coverage for F9. I expect that coverage will continue. I think this is a case of taking criticism graciously, admitting our imperfections, and working to do better next time.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager