Re: Fedora Logo History

Jon Stanley wrote:
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Duvelle Jones <duvelle jones gmail com> wrote:
You know, I am not too sure about the reasoning to that decision. But
that is something that should be up for discussion, there may or may not
be legal repercussion for the use of a non-open typeface. (and I am no
legal expert, so I am not sure to what those repercussion might be.)

Red Hat has paid for the use of the font in the logo, and can
distribute copies of the logo royalty-free. The only reason that
someone might need a copy of the font is to modify the logo, and per
the trademark guidelines, that should never occur, therefore there is
no legal ramification to distributing the logo as is.

And for various titles and additional graphics, we selected a free font, MgOpen Modata, which is "officially", _the_ complementary font:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines#Complementary_Font

As for logo modification, the initial proposal provided this as a possibility, see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Logo-history-variations.jpg but that was scraped.

Here is what we got from mixing the wordmark (in Bryant 2 font) and additional MgOpen Modata glyphs (it is a recent development):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Fedora_secondary_logo_draft_guidelines.png