"Fedora Remix" etymology

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 19:31:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Jack Aboutboul <jaa at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I remember it because I came up with the phraseology because I
>>> was working a lot with creative commons at the time.
>>>
>>> Max Spevack can confirm.
>>
>> Okay Spin Doctor, how do we actually communicate that fact without it
>> sounding reactionary?  Didn't Mo' put together some banner art work
>> for F7 that used the terminology?
>
> We don't communicate it at all.  We just take the term and swing it around
> like a 9-iron, and dare someone to take it away from us.  And when they do
> try, we have an aggressive communications plan that says "Fedora: Remixing
> since 2006.  Booyah."

I think we are more likely to swing around a putter, and everyone is
telling us "Use a frickin' 9 iron you geek!" If there is one thing
that Red Hat has been extremely well at doing for over 15 years... its
been lack of communication about things we do. We either concentrate
on something that only a few people care about (who Red Hat then hires
on as they are the ones driving and owrking on it)... or look around
in utter astonishment when someone else comes out with something and
we say things like "compiling for the i586 is a waste of time, we did
some work on it but it made things worse. Hey listen to us.. you
aren't getting anything better out of that binary.. look sure we
didn't publish it.. we were busy working on cool-geeky-toyX."

Oh and we usually have some guy dance around and remind us we all look
like geeks waving around a putter when we were supposed to be swinging
a 9 iron. [Bonus points when we say "Oh I thought this was a wood."]

I agree with GDK on this one. So we were going to use it in 2007 or
2006 or 1998 when some people thought of Mandrake as a remix..

"Oh they are using it cool. Well great minds think a like." and move on moments.

I am off to find some coffee before my eyes explode out of my head.

> Oh, and also, we put "Fedora Remix" in the boot sequence of every OLPC
> system on earth.  Scoreboard.
>
> --g
>
> --

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux