"Fedora Remix" etymology

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:14:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Jack Aboutboul <jaa at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I remember it because I came up with the phraseology because I
>> was working a lot with creative commons at the time.
>>
>> Max Spevack can confirm.
>

> Okay Spin Doctor, how do we actually communicate that fact without it
> sounding reactionary?  Didn't Mo' put together some banner art work
> for F7 that used the terminology?
>
> Can we resurrect those images and re-task them to for the new
> trademark campaign as well as providing visual hints of the pedigree
> of thought dating back to F7?

There are pages with chronological views on the artwork of Fedora,
complete with screenshots and related things.  Maybe we should do the
same for remixing.  Try to contact all the people who have done
remixes of some kind, and get a chronological view on this, starting
with the OLPC and moving on to the CC remix, etc...  Perhaps even with
statements from companies that do internal mixing.

Then, we need to make sure it gets some viewage, though I'm not sure
about how to go about that.  This will at least give us a serious
talking point about Fedora and remixing without having to be rude to
an obnoxious Ubuntu fan who wants to claim that Canonical made the
phrase up.

-Yaakov