Getting out the vote for the Fedora 10 election season

Oisin Feeley oisinfeeley at imapmail.org
Sun Oct 12 18:52:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:55:10 -0400, "Pascal Calarco" <pcalarco at nd.edu>
said:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Oisin, Pascal, Max, et al.: Would you be interested in running a
> > special issue of Fedora Weekly News -- or simply devoting a regularly
> > scheduled issue -- to reporting on IRC chat interviews/Q&A with
> > community members running for elections?
> >
> > It seems like everyone, including the Board, is in favor of a general
> > election where FESCo, the Board, etc. will run their elections
> > concurrently sometime with 30 days after release of Fedora 10.  To
> > give the community a better idea of where nominees stand, the
> > Marketing group will have a method for gathering questions and posing
> > them to the nominees.  If FWN were to report those answers they could
> > potentially reach a lot more people, thus resulting in a more informed
> > electorate.
>
> This seems like a great idea to me, and a nice way for FWN to help
> spread the word on getting more community involvement in the election!
>
> One suggestion might be to include these as they come in, in regular FWN
> issues, and then put together a special issue of all of these together,
> along with any other additional content y'all feel would be useful,
> closer to the election, perhaps at the beginning of the voting period.
> Other suggestions most welcome!

I'm a bit late in replying to this, but I'm completely in favor of what
Pascal suggests above. Probably we'll have to be pro-active in prompting
candidates to respond to a template of some sort. Something along the
lines of:

1. What are the biggest problems with the Fedora Project which you seek
to address and how?

2. What is your relevant experience?

3. Are there other changes which you envision?

4. Are there areas or issues which you intend to completely avoid?

5. Any other?

It would be interesting to offer candidates the opportunity to comment
on each others' platforms or mandates but this requires that we get this
processing going soon. As I look over the above it sounds a bit
controlling and I can imagine that some candidates would prefer not to
be constrained by any template, but it might be easier to compare ideas
if they follow some sort of formatting conventions.

Best wishes,
--
  Oisin Feeley
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OisinFeeley