Developers vs Grandmas

Luis Felipe Marzagao lfelipebm at yahoo.com.br
Thu Oct 23 16:43:18 UTC 2008

I think this is an important issue. I must say it´s impressive how
Fedora has been changing and giving much more attention, on each
realease, to the needs of end-users. We don´t need to go very far. If we
compare FC5 and F10, we can see there are huge differences in terms of
end-user support. NetworkManager is one great example.

Although this has been really nice, I think there are things to improve.
I´m always hiting on the same key when it comes to end-users. I know
Fedora cannot (and should not) go away from its objectives (which is the
very reason of its success), but paying attention to the end-user voice
should be added as one *serious* project objective also. I mean, side by
side with "smooth updates", "rapid evolution" and the other good Fedora
principles.

I don´t have any doubts about the quality of the software behind Fedora.
And I´m aware a lot of people don´t mind if Fedora has a lot of
end-users or not. And that´s what I think should be changed. Fedora
should seek for increasing the number of end-users. And that´s only
possible when it receives, with an open spirit, and put to
consideration, the end-users demands. I´m not saying it´s not done at
all. I´m only suggesting it should be added as a main goal.