Developers vs Grandmas

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Oct 27 16:26:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 10:13 -0300, Rafael Gomes wrote:
> I agree 100% too, but we can do one of the two options:
>
> First, ask to upstream change this options to improve the life of
> end-users or change this options in Fedora.

The confusion I have reading the several replies you are all agreeing to
is this:

* People agree we need to work with upstream and not change their
software, but
* People agree we need to change the upstream software

For example, changing gconf default behavior is in fact changing the
upstream software.  Now Nautilus on Fedora would behave differently.
Any bug reports need to include a list of all the changes we made to the
defaults, giving Fedora more to maintain.  All based on some instincts
and reports that really should be made as bug reports and observations
directly to the upstream!

There is very little benefit to Fedora, our users, and the overall
community for us to focus on changes we can make to upstream to improve
our own user's experience.  If they change is valid and worthwhile, it
needs to happen in the upstream.

- Karsten

--
Karsten Wade, Community Gardener