Rebranded Fedora Inquiry

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 17 15:41:53 UTC 2008

Markus McLaughlin wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm back from my New York Vacation and I was reading up on the latest
> Linux news.  I read this article on Ubuntu Linux at lxer.com
> <http://lxer.com> concerning a "beefed up" Ubuntu with legal multimedia
> codecs being sold as a retail product.  My questions are if some
> Programmer wanted to "beef up" Fedora 9 or 10 with legal multimedia
> codecs (DVD Reader Support, Blu-Ray Reader Support, Windows Media
> Support, etc,) does that person have a right to sell it in that manner
> to people online or in a store if that Linux was rebranded and all the
> Fedora Icons/Themes were changed?
>
> I would like to know so I can post the answer to that on my Linux Blog...
>
> I can't wait to download the Fedora 10 Beta!  :D

You don't have to change all the icons and themes. The Fedora trademarks
only apply to the name and logo. If you replace fedora-logos package
with generic-logos package and call the end result something other than
Fedora, you would have satisfied the trademark requirements. We avoid
Fedora branding in the default theme just to facilitate such derivatives.

Rahul