Marketing goals, round 2!

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 18:48:06 UTC 2009

F13 Marketing Goals... and beeeeeeeeeyond!

Greetings marketing friends,

As some of you have probably read, I've been doing some thinking on
not just our specific, measurable goals for F13, but also the
marketing team's wider objectives and mission.  In other words, we may
have this list of fabulous tasks we've brainstormed for F13, but what
are our end goals?

I've come up with an idea I'd like to propose and/or get feedback on.
It may not be the perfect solution, but I think that it might get us
on the path to being more mission-oriented in future releases, if we
(a) decide to go down this route, and (b) decide at the end of F13
that it was a worthwhile effort.

The concept is to organize the tasks we work on around the four
foundations of Fedora - Freedom, Friends, Features, First (please see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations if you want the big
explanation on all of these things - I know they are each
intentionally easy-to-grasp concepts, but the bigger picture behind
each one is worth reading).  For our team, what this would mean is
that each of our tasks should be focused on furthering one (or more)
of each of these foundations.  Not to pin us in, necessarily - ideas
of all types will fall into one of these categories, generally - but
to make sure we aren't forgetting to focus on anything.

I've written a bit down about each foundation - this is of course just
me brainstorming a bit, I would love to hear more ideas on solidifying
these if other team members think it is a good idea.  (And by
solidifying, I mean into slightly more concise statements :D ) Under
each one, I've listed some of the tasks that might fall into that
category. (The task lists aren't comprehensive - I've just typed
things in here, so don't get mad if your idea isn't here!)

Freedom:  Use FOSS tools as much as possible (or practical) in
production of Marketing materials, and do our best to support
solutions that may work in the future. (Side note: See mizmo's post to
the marketing list on making the fedora video - it wasn't entirely
practical, but bugs were filed, discussions are ongoing, this is GOOD!
And awesome video btw, I know you've heard it already but I'm just
sayin' it again :D.)  Give marketing contributors the freedom and
knowledge to work on projects as they choose.  Practice openness, and
give process more transparency.
- HOWTO's on how to make all Marketing deliverables
- translations and i18n workflow for marketing stuff
- Cross-training of team members for things like Zikula

Friends: Continue to develop and extend not only the Fedora marketing
community, but also the Fedora community in general.
- Grow the number of marketing contributors
- Convert 100 users of non-Fedora distros to Fedora as their primary desktop OS
- Encourage 100 college students to sign up as Fedora contributors and
each contribute at least one thing.
- FUDCon
- Talk up Fedora at at least 20 different LUG meetings worldwide
- Marketing FAD
- RH Summit
- Podcasts

Features: Enhance Fedora's marketing presence with new features, and
ensure that Fedora distro features are highlighted in a timely way.
- Spin Chooser
- Fedora Insight
- Develop a sustainable cycle / schedule of marketing materials.
Developer Interviews, In-depth features, etc.
- Improve cross-team communication between marketing, docs, and QA for
improvements in material

First: Do New Things, and continually come up with New Ideas; review
their effectiveness when they are complete, and don't be afraid to
say, "That didn't work."
- Marketing Kits
- Fedora Print Magazine
- Time-Based Schedule
- Fedora Membership / Fellowship
- Keeping track of new ideas

Like I said - this is a brainstorm, of sorts, so I'd love to hear feedback.

Cheers!

-Robyn