Fedora 11 Talking Points

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:08:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:21:15PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Jack Aboutboul wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> In anticipation of the alpha release, I put together a talking points
>> page highlighting some of the new stuff we should be seeing in F11.
>> Please take a look and also play around if you like!
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_Talking_Points
>
> Who is the audience for this? Currently, there is way too many technical
> details.

And there are too many points; this looks more like a restatement of
the feature list:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/11/FeatureList

Really there should only be a small number of talking points, because
we want to build a coherent, interesting story from the end-user side
for specific important features.

Here are the features I believe are good candidates for this treatment
for Alpha and beyond.  Obviously as we move forward it's still
possible another feature might emerge as a major talking point;
feature cutoff doesn't happen for quite some time yet for F11.

Users:
* New volume control
* maybe Presto/deltaRPMs if that's actually going to happen for F11
* Fingerprint scanning

Developers:
* MinGW Windows cross-compiler

Sysadmins:
* ext4 file system

Community:
* Moksha and live web app framework

Building a story around each of these features won't be too difficult,
because they're all compelling, easy for Fedora people to talk about,
and easy for journalists to understand and write about.