Proposed business card format changes

Frank Murphy frankly3d at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 18:34:47 UTC 2009

On 01/07/09 19:29, inode0 wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Frank Murphy<frankly3d at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 01/07/09 19:14, inode0 wrote:

<snip>

> The web of trust is worthless if *I* have to see everyone's picture
> ID. The whole point of the web of trust is to extend validation beyond
> the people I know.

The idae is correct but:
you don't need to meet everyone.

How it works properly is:
Eg. I meet you,
we exchange fingerprints, and see photo id.
We trust trust other.

The someone who you know, has never met me,
I can be vouched for by you.
Because you have matched my id to my key.
That is the trust.

You have to verify the human, and so on to 5 levels.

http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/x334.html

"
GnuPG overloads the word ``trust'' by using it to mean trust in an owner
and trust in a key. This can be confusing. Sometimes trust in an owner
is referred to as owner-trust to distinguish it from trust in a key.
Throughout this manual, however, ``trust'' is used to mean trust in a
key's owner, and ``validity'' is used to mean trust that a key belongs
to the human associated with the key ID."