Fedora on Netbooks (Was: Re: Reminder: Meeting in 24 hours, #fedora-meeting)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 21:13:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:40:12PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Paul W. Frields<stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is a great point Mathieu.  As a matter of fact, one of the calls
> > I got about Fedora 11 on a netbook was from a certain prominent
> > executive, who installed it on his HP 2133 and said it was the first
> > distro of any kind where he could read the screen properly.
>
> Perhaps we are just lucky there and it has more to say about the
> usability sacrifices of a 9 inch screen  Displays are getting bigger
> and bigger with each model release. The HP 2140 and Dell Mini 10v now
> has a 10 inch screens.

Let's see if we can get this discussion either moved to a relevant
list, or captured somewhere that we can use in showing how well Fedora
works on netbooks.  My comment was more of an aside -- trying to make
the point that I'm not sure we know how well we're doing on netbooks
without (1) knowing whether netbook users are reporting their
experiences and problems, and turning those into actionable bugs; and
maybe (2) forming an effort to do that in Fedora, with the intention
of getting appropriate fixes upstream.

And just to put *way* too fine a point on it, *that* conversation
needs to be had somewhere other than on this list, too! :-D